Frequently asked questions

Students back to top

I don't know what type of housing would best suit me. What should I do?

Don't make a hasty decision. Think carefully about your needs, and then consider which type of housing would best suit your situation.

Contact UniSA Accommodation Services if you would like to discuss your options.

Has UniSA inspected the properties listed here?

We do not inspect the properties listed or interview the people advertising on the Rental Database. You will need to make your own enquiries about the suitability of the property, housemates and landlord.

Here are some tips to help you make a decision:

  • When you contact the person advertising, confirm that the information on the advertisement is correct
  • Ask details about the location and public transport
  • Ask the person about their studies/work, and get a sense of what they are like. Consider making contact through Facebook, especially if they are advertising a shared property. This could provide a useful insight into their lifestyle.
  • Make an appointment to inspect the property
  • Use a checklist for the inspection, so you remember all the important things to consider
  • When you visit the property take a friend for support and a second opinion

How can I be sure that the advertisement is genuine and not a scam?

Do not pay any money until you have thoroughly inspected the property. Do not pay any money unless you are satisfied that the agreement is genuine. Make sure that you get a receipt for money paid. We strongly advise against sending money overseas. Use the Rental Database messaging option, rather than private email. Here is some further advice about scams.

I have never rented a property in Australia before. What should I know?

Consumer and Business Services (Tenancies) provide key information, including in languages other than English, as well as a more detailed Information Brochure. Here are additional Housing FAQs to make your rental experience easier.

My landlord/housemates say that we don't need a written agreement or receipts. Is that OK?

We strongly advise that you use written agreements in English. This prevents disputes about the agreement and what is included in the rent. Download a standard Residential Tenancy or Rooming House agreement.

Receipts are a legal requirement. If you are paying your rent with cash, always make sure that you get a receipt in English immediately.

What should I do if I think that something is not right?

Contact UniSA Accommodation Services for advice.

You can also contact Consumer and Business Services (Tenancies) for assistance with your situation. Open during office hours at 91 Grenfell Street, Adelaide. Telephone 131 882

These are free services.

Should I insure my belongings?

It's advisable to take out contents insurance.  Even though the property you are renting is probably insured by the landlord, that would not include your belongings. 

So protect your belongings against theft or damage by taking out home contents insurance.  Shop around online for an option which suits you.

Is there any financial assistance available to students?

UniSA offers a large number of scholarships and grants, so go online and check out your eligibility.

Apply to Housing SA and Centrelink for assistance with your bond and rent.

Who can I talk to about my situation?

UniSA Accommodation Services
Make an appointment online

Accommodation providers back to top

What are University's requirements for offering accommodation to students?

UniSA requires providers to comply with all relevant laws, such as the Residential Tenancy Act 1995 and local council by-laws. We recommend that you contact the helpful Consumer and Business Services (Tenancies) and your local council for free advice.

How much does it cost to use the Rental Database?

This is a free service aimed at helping UniSA students find suitable, affordable accommodation. We simply require you to comply with relevant laws, including the Residential Tenancies laws.

Do students prefer furnished properties?

Generally, international and interstate students prefer furnished accommodation, but some students may have their own furniture.

How much rent should I charge?

We cannot advise you on the rent. However, most students are on low budgets and want clean, affordable properties in reasonably convenient locations. Consider the facilities which you are providing and take a look at other advertisements on the Rental Database.

How do I lodge the bond?

Bonds for residential tenancies and rooming houses must be lodged. The process is quite simple. Just lodge it using the free  Residential Bonds Online Service or complete the bond lodgement form and send it to Consumer and Business Services.

What income must I declare, and which expenses can I claim?

Here is some useful information regarding your income tax rights and responsibilities.

Should I take out landlord's insurance?

Appropriate landlord's insurance is a great way to protect yourself against damage to your property, loss of rent, etc. It's also tax-deductible. Definitely a good idea! Shop around for a suitable option.

What should I put in my advertisement?

As well as completing the check-boxes we provide for your listing, try to include as much additional detail as possible about your property to make it more appealing to students. Keep it clear and simple, as international students will be browsing the Rental Database. Using dot-points is a good idea.

  • for share-houses, describe the culture of the household (eg. age, students, family, lifestyle of occupants)
  • public transport details
  • proximity to shops and university
  • any pets currently living in the household
  • special features of the property or room (eg. ensuite bathroom, quiet area, fast internet)
  • size of the property or room
  • furnishings and amenities included
  • condition of the property (eg. freshly painted, newly renovated)
  • include photos

Note. You will be able to preview and edit your listing before submitting it.

How can I include photographs?

People always want to see what a property looks like, so we recommend that you include photos of the property. Photos will also improve the ranking of your listing in search results.

Simply drag and drop the photo files into the space provided in your listing. Or you can click to choose photo files from your computer. Remember to save your changes.

When is the best time of year to advertise?

The beginning of the year (January - March) is the period of greatest demand, followed by June - July. However, you can advertise anytime. It's a free service and there are students looking for accommodation at all times of year.

I don't use the internet. Can I give you the property details for you to list?

The Rental Database is a free internet-based service. All advertisements are to be submitted online only. If you do not have access to the internet at home, you could seek assistance from a friend who has a computer or at your local library.

How will interested students make contact with me?

You can choose whether the student rings or emails you. It is up to you to screen the student for suitability.

My vacancy has been filled. Could you remove the advertisement?

Once your vacancy has been filled, you will need to close your listing.

Simply sign in, select Go to your dashboard, select your listing and click on the Close Now button.

Your listing will remain on your dashboard, so you can re-activate it later.

How can I change some details of my listing?

Simply sign in and select Go to your dashboard. Select your listing and click on Make changes.

Any changes will be subject to approval, but in the meantime, the previous version of your listing will remain visible.

How long will my listing be active?

Once it has been approved, your listing will be available for viewing for 2 weeks. You will receive an email a few days before the end of this period, giving you the option of re-listing your vacancy.

Please remember to close your listing as soon as the vacancy has been filled. Simply click on the blue Close now button.

How do I relist my advertisement?

Simply sign in, select Go to your dashboard.  Select your listing,check the details and then relist it.

How do I choose the right tenant?

Taking the time to select the right person can save you a lot of time, trouble and money.

If the vacancy is a room in a share-property, think about the current occupants: age, lifestyle, etc. When you meet the potential tenant, ask questions to determine whether they will be a good match for the current household. Answer any questions they might have. Be open about what you expect from your tenants.

Arrange for them to meet the current occupants before making a final decision.

Allow them plenty of time to read and understand the lease before signing it.

How can I keep a good tenant?

Once you have a good tenant, you'll want to keep them, of course. Or when they move on, you'll want them to refer their friends.

So, deal with repair requests promptly. Encourage them to let you know if there are any problems. Ensure that you abide by relevant laws and treat your tenants fairly.

What is my username?

Your email address.

What is my password?

Use the Forget your password tool on the Sign in page. after signing in, you can also change your password.

Who can I speak to about my situation?

UniSA Accommodation Services